Carpet tiles, also known as carpet squares or modular carpet, have gained popularity in commercial design for their flexibility, cost and aesthetics. In many instances, carpet tiles are a better alternative than wall-to-wall in a retail setting because of the ability to rotate or replace individual tiles due to heavy foot traffic or wear. From a design perspective, carpet tiles are a great solution to incorporate an organization’s color palette or create unique designs by interchanging colors or patterns without incurring additional costs.
In deciding whether to use carpet tiles or wall-to-wall, consider these qualities:
Styles of Carpet Tile
Carpet tiles come in many different styles and colors. They are available in:
- Various sizes
- Multiple fiber types
- Pile styles
This means there is likely a carpet tile equivalent for the same product available in rolled goods. Aside from the format, the major difference between standard carpet rolls is the tile backing material. Carpet tile backing material options include: vinyl, fiberglass, vinyl/fiberglass, urethane, woven polypropylene, and recycled vinyl. Quality backing systems are important because they provide stability and help carpet tiles withstand moisture and may also have anti-fatigue properties.
Along with different backing options, carpet tiles come in both non-adhesive and adhesive styles. This allows for easy removal and replacement of individual tiles, saving money on both product and installation.
Choosing The Right Product
Pros of Carpet Tiles
Carpet tiles come with a range of benefits that include:
- Easier installation than standard rolled carpet
- Carpet tiles can often be installed over other flooring types, such as wood, tile or vinyl.
- Easier cleaning and care. Individual carpet tiles can be removed for cleaning, and replaced when dry. If one area of the floor becomes damaged, the tile can be replaced without replacing the entire floor.
- Carpet tiles allow for freedom with design, allowing you to give more depth and texture to a room.
- Many carpet tile options have enhanced stain resistance, which helps to reduce maintenance time and expenses.
Cons of Carpet Tiles
Carpet tiles also come with some disadvantages that are good to be aware of. These include:
- The seams of the carpet tiles can be more easily seen when compared to wall-to-wall carpet rolls. Without careful installation, the seams could appear uneven.
- Like their carpet roll counterpart, they are not ideal for areas subject to moisture and may buckle or curl if not properly installed and maintained.
With so many beneficial features, carpet tiles are a solution we often recommend as part of a comprehensive flooring evaluation. The Matworks offers expert advice for all your commercial flooring needs; email us with any questions and we will respond with a custom solution: email@example.com.
About The Matworks
The Matworks is a team of individuals with vast industry knowledge, committed to supporting the core values of its employees and customers. By taking a holistic approach, we are positioned to understand the needs, challenges and risks associated with all flooring solutions.
The Matworks offers more than four decades of expertise combined with the dexterity to be entrepreneurial, we are more than a flooring company – we are risk managers, business advisors and partners in your success. Our comprehensive flooring solutions are designed to meet the unique needs of each of our customers.